Tim Walton's dismissal as Defensive Coordinator for the Hurricanes on Monday isn't a great shock. But the reality is Walton whose schemes were basic inherited his basic defensive tendencies from his boss Randy Shannon whose defenses were equally simple and lacking in any sort of in-game adjustments. Beyond that the clear lack of talent at Walton's disposal particularly on the line and the injuries to Glen Cook and Anthony Reddick two guys who did have talent on the defense didn't help either.
Miami's defense was out schemed repeatedly last season. But even in better times overall for the Hurricanes, Randy Shannon was repeatedly out schemed. Recall the three game stretch in 2002 against Florida State, West Virginia and Rutgers when Miami defense was shredded and Shannon failed to adjust. Then think back to 2004 when Louisville, NC State and North Carolina threw all over the Canes in a similar three game stretch which culminated in an embarrassing loss in Chapel Hill to a mediocre (and that's being kind) UNC team. Despite high defensive rankings in 2005 and 2006 it seemed like when Shannon's defense needed to make a stop they could not. That trend continued in 2007 when on three occasions: at North Carolina, vs Georgia Tech and at Virginia Tech, Miami's offense had seized the momentum in a comeback effort and the defense flushed it down the toilet on the next drive.
I'm going to be perfectly honest. Miami's job opening is not very attractive in the College Football world. The talk of John Tenuta coming to the "U" is absurd. When he has the opportunity to make head coach money as a coordinator at a big state school why would he come some place where the Head Coach is paid like an assistant? The best bet for Shannon is try and lure a coordinator from a smaller D-1 school or perhaps a position coach from the NFL willing to take equal pay or a slight pay cut to manage a college defense in a major conference.
Now finally on this issue I give credit for Randy Shannon for making this change. He now has the opportunity to hire an Xs and Os guy to compliment the recruiting oriented staff he currently has. Patrick Nix is a recruiter first and a gameday coordinator second. Mike Barrow is a recruiter first and a gameday/practice position coach second. Same for the rest of the staff. Shannon perhaps has finally recognized that and will make the change that has to be made.
Tuesday, December 18, 2007
Tim Walton's Defense Suffered from Shannon's Past Poor Schemes
Labels:
Miami Football,
Randy Shannon,
Tim Walton
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Nix should not be next. I was very anti-Nix hiring based on experience... but frankly, I really liked how our offense looked, scheme wise.... two best examples:
1) WRs were almost ALWAYS open, even on obvious passing plays... TEs were open and so were the RBs going out for passes, it's just that the WRs/TEs/RBs couldn't be hit by the QB.
2) The running game was just awesome... look what we did against NC State when they knew we were running all the time and stacked the box. We could move the ball on the ground against practically every team (including OU) even when they knew our strength was running.
Reply
Remember, Walton was a Coker guy who he knew from his association with
that coaching genius John Cooper at Ohio State. I Love the move and it
shows that Shannon wants no more nice guys on this field or on the sideline. Great Move Randy. Now go get Mark Stoops.
The firing of Where's was hugely important. But, again, just like the firing of Cocker and his staff, firing isn't enough. The hiring part is just as important. Shannon now needs to make a great hire. I applaud him for making the move, but I'm going to hold off on going too crazy until I see who he hires.
He's struggled terribly in hiring coordinators so far. I'm hoping he breaks out of the box a little and keeps an open mind and looks outside the normal UM hiring strategy. Call Brian Van Gorder. NOW.
Randy Shannon is either going to coach this defense himself or he's gonna hire a DC that is able to coach LB's and has tons of experience.Also this DC will have to be a strong recuiter.
Because alot of the games I saw our Lb's were lost in coverage. Guys were constantly taking poor angles and it seems like they were out there thinking too much.
I been saying for the longest that Walton always seemed a step behind on his playcalling for D. There was no game more evident than the VA and VT games. Teams would just march the ball down the field on us at will then he'll blitz each and everytime when they got our 20. Instead of making the proper adjustments. His D was so predictable and bland.
RS is taking a proactive approach to this situation and he looks like he's trying to win now not later. I think he feels the pressure is on with the recruits that we have coming in and losing is not accepted here.
in Shannon's search, I truly hope he remains very open and doesn't immediately eliminate coaches that don't run "his system".
Doing so will negate the chances of getting some very good and qualified guys.
If fact, despite all the great defenses that have come out of here, I think it would be wise to hire someone with a slightly different style. Morph the two, let Randy learn from him, and he learn from Randy to create a more dynamic and evolving style of defense.
I'm not saying chuck everything he holds important, just don't eliminate good possibilities based soley on "our system."
In the end, I don't care what they run, just as long as there is a proven track record of success in coaching, calling plays, and developing players. We have players here and coming in, that when properly coached and developed can play in any system out there.
If we end up getting a guy that runs a similar system, then fine, but I don't think it should be the number one priority.
The absolute best thing he can do for this program is to sign an established DC with an established philosophy and a proven track record of results, playcalling and most importantly the maximization and developmentation of his players.
Get that guy no matter level he comes from and no matter what his philosophy is.
Rumors flying...
some names: Ed Oregeron (former Hurricane assistant/recently axed HC @ Ole Miss), Mark Stoops (Defensive Coordinator @ University of Arizona), and someone under the radar (sleeper candidate)...
Wally Burnham (Defensive Coordinator @ University of South Florida):
Burnham has an abundance of big-time college coaching experience, including nine years with Bobby Bowden at Florida State and five years as an assistant head coach and defensive coordinator at South Carolina. Furthermore, Burnham has blazed the recruiting trails throughout Florida and beyond during his coaching career. In all, Burnham brings 38 years of coaching experience (including 34 at the college or pro level) to the table.
No chance on Burnham, although he would be a great hire. He is at USF b/c he is obtaining Florida retirement benefits for being at a state school. No way he leaves there for a private school at his age. He would be the best choice IMO though but wishful thinking.
If Orgeron gets the job, which I don't think he will, how long do you think it would be before he becomes a head coach again? That is a strong possibility and would go against any semblance of RS attempting to create some stability of the staff. That would not be a good selection because of that reason alone.
Shannon will never hire a seasoned DC. If he has a down fall that will be it. He wants total control of the defense. Yes, Walton is gone but unfortunately the defensive strategy will stay the same because it is Randy's system. Now he can run it himself.
You know Shannon eventually taking over the D was going to happen. I think the UNC game was the cause of Walton's demise. Randy had to drop the hammer of authority on Walton.
I just don't want Randy to stretch himself thin. However, if he can run both jobs (HC & DC), can we get a good QB coach with all of the youngsters we have coming in?
Kartik, when Miami returns to national prominence under RS you are in no position to EVER say "I told you so" or "I love RS." You have gone from providing serious insight here a few years back to nothing but a delusional hater who so badly wants Miami to be a Basketball school.
A few thoughts here. Miami is NOT getting Tenuta or Bud Foster. Van Gorder? maybe, he coached HS down here. Oregeron? Yeah, that makes sense, but considering RS had a dispute with Kehoe and Solly and then Coker canned them and right away Oregeron snapped them up at Ole Miss, you realize where EO fits in the factionalism that began to overtake Miami's coaching staff in the Coker years.
As far as being a hater I call it as I see it. I love UM even though I went to school at perhaps our biggest rival. I do please guilty to the Basketball charge. Urban private school in the most visible basketball league in the nation.....most other places the recent record would be unacceptable, bot on the court but attendance and fan interest wise.
Again Kartik you seem to thing that simply because we don't have facilities and a stadium of our own we are dead. You seem to buy the same crap ESPN does which is amazing since you do nothing but bash them.
I rarely post but I've read this site every day for the past two years. It didn't take me long to come to the obvious conclusion that a few of you are profound a$$holes that provide very little useful information when posting responses and then in order to rile people up Kartik decides to act as if the team is much worse than it is.
Personally, I think the all of you just like to patronize anyone who has a different opinion than yourselves. Kartik has some real insight while most of the respondents do not. However, Kartik seems to want to resort to hyperbole and finger pointing to elicit these obvious wars on the site. I'm sick and tired of it as a reader.
It took my much longer than usual to get through all the comments this morning. Could it be that this is becoming a real blog and not just 2 or 3 guys pontificating? lol...
Anyway, I am very pleased with the way UM has done its business. Recruits must understand that it is about the total picture. That total picture is winning. That is life. No matter what school you go to, changes will be made and nobody will run those changes by them first. It's just a lesson in life.
That's why you commit to a school and not a person. You trust that the school will always have the right person in place to develop you.
DeWayne Walker will be the new coordinator once UCLA's bowl game is over!
Post a Comment