Thursday, January 24, 2008

Stick a Fork in the 2007-08 Hurricanes

Having watched College Basketball for as long as I have and as closely as I have (although I will admit professional commitments between Electioneering and International Soccer transfer window have limited my ability to watch games the past two weeks) means that I have developed a sense for when a team has quit and is playing out the string. While Miami has not quit, they are playing out the string. Simply put a team that cannot shoot more than 49% against an opponent who plays zero defense is not going anywhere and will be fortunate to win more than two more league games.

I have felt all season long that North Carolina is not a top 10 caliber team. I still feel that way. Against a demoralized Miami team whose season essentially concluded with giving away that game in Raleigh Saturday, North Carolina aggressively didn't contest a single jumper in the first half and relied on a combination of Tyler Hansbrough strength and some fortuitous officiating to build an undeserved seven point lead against a clearly outclassed opponent. The second half was similar and proved how poor Miami's season is likely to end up.

I will go on the record at this moment saying I do not believe Miami can win more than four ACC games total and may in fact miss the NIT even with 17 wins. (Washington missed the NIT with 18 wins last season after three consecutive NCAA trips). For all of Miami's strengths: good perimeter shooting, strong inside play and decent ball movement on offense, the team totally lacks the quickness of athleticism to compete in the ACC let alone win half its conference games which is what it needs to do to make the NCAAs. Miami is simply put the least athletic team in the league and it isn't even close to the next team, which is probably Duke (whose players are obviously much more skilled than Miami's.)

All of this is unfortunate given the start to the season Miami enjoyed and the fine play the Canes exhibited playing against teams from inferior conferences. Miami did beat a team that could win the SEC on the road, but will be fortunate to beat any ACC opposition away from home. Simply put the 2007-08 Canes weren't built for the ACC and the league isn't being kind to them. What's worse is the schedule only gets worse. Clemson is next and they actually match up better against Miami than UNC. Then a trip to Wake Forest and Duke. Following that Miami comes home to face a Florida State team whose guards actually can rebound and create their own shots unlike Miami good shooting, but less athletic guards. In other words a 1-7 ACC start isn't just possible- it's highly likely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems we're cursed. Jack goes for 30 and Dews goes for 4. Hurdle goes for 20 and Jack and Dews have less combined. Dews and Jack combine for 40-50 and the bigs get us less than 10.

Can we have one freaking game where everyone is on fire? Or least 4-5 players playing well at once?

I'm going to say it now. If we don't beat Clemson we are done.

Bunch said...

A little too hasty, perhaps? You can never "stick a fork" in any reasonably competitive team in the ACC. And yes, Miami is reasonably competitive. Are they UNC? No. But are they bad? No.

Listen to Canes Rising Radio!