Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shannon Finally Does Something Right


Randy Shannon's search for a Defensive Coordinator has finally concluding with the naming of Bill Young as the new coordinator. Despite the troubles Shannon seemed to have getting grounded and going after bigger names, Shannon's hire is probably the best thing he has done thus far as Miami coach. I haven't been impressed with Shannon thus far as Miami's coach, something our readers are painfully aware of. (nor am I impressed with the Miami program either at this stage) The bottom line is despite all the bravado coming from some Canes fans about recruiting, a look back at the rankings of some of Larry Coker's classes and how those five star recruits panned out reminds us that this is far from an exact science. Moreover Shannon's handling of Doug Wiggins situation, justified or not has closed the door on Miami getting future recruits from North Miami Beach High School and I have heard rumblings locally that the damage from the episode is far more extensive than just affecting UM's relationship with NMB. In addition, I believe any coach who doesn't know his personnel well enough to publicly consider 8-4 a failure when he has 4-8 talent is really naive and not ready for a job in a major conference. Couple that with Shannon's decision this offseason to ask the most experienced Quarterback and Running Back on the team to transfer and you have a 5-7 team quickly headed for 2-10 until Thursday.

Bill Young, the new Miami Defensive Coordinator is one of the best in the nation. He isn't flashy or headline grabbing like some other defensive coaches but clearly has a record of accomplishment few in the game currently can boast. His Ohio State defenses were always solid and producing NFL caliber players. At Southern Cal his defense made up for an inept offense that was run by Head Coach and supposed offensive genius Paul Hackett. At Kansas, his defense especially recently has played lights out.

I'm most impressed that Shannon whose vascilation about keeping coaches, his inconsistency in public statements about players and his general novice behavior on the job was able to land a coach of Young's stature and experience. His hiring instantly turns the UM staff from one of the worst if not the worst in ACC in terms of real experience, to a more seasoned and respectable group of coaches. His experience will help young coaches like Mike Barrow adjust to the ACC and the College game faster.

We heard names like Mark Stoops, Charlie Strong and Ron English linked with Miami. In Young, the Hurricanes got a more seasoned coach and better fit for this staff than anyone else linked with the job. For that Shannon deserves credit and a little less criticism from me for his previous foolish decisions. Perhaps he is growing into the job.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big hire!!! He made Va tech look pretty bad with average talent

Anonymous said...

Interesting hire....

The thing that stands out about this guy is takeaways. He loves to have his defense win the takeaway game....so it is a very aggressive defense.

I don't know much about his defenses from watching them. I saw Kansas against VA Tech and they did impress.

Reading his resume and knowing what we had, I would say it was a solid move. Much more experienced at making adjustments. I am sure there is nothing he hasn't seen.

I like the D-Line experience.

Anonymous said...

I love the post. Although I'm not as frustrated as you seemed to be with Shannon and his 1st year performance. I love your post because it lays out some common ground for people like me who say shannon needs time to suceed. And people like you who want immediate gratification.

Like you said. maybe now the satff is looking more complete. We now seem to have the experience person grounding and teaching the players and staff.

And at the same time we have a guy like Shannon who is definately new to the HC position and has made many mistakes as you mentioned. But he brings the old school U mentality we had for decades that he learned from the likes of JJ, Butch, etc...

The tangent of fire and excitement mixed with hard nosed experience. Just may be exactly what we need in Coral Gables.

Love the post!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last post- this was a classic post, well written and well thought out. Hopefully this is as good a hire as you claim it is!

Kartik said...

Thanks guys on the props. Aubrey Hill is also a good hire. I had a few classes with him at UF and he's an upright guy who like me always liked the Canes, even though we were in G'ville. He was limited as a WR but got the most out of his abilities to become a game breaking 3rd WR. He knew how to create mismatches for himself against a LB, etc and assume he'll teach our underachieving group of WRs how to play.

Listen to Canes Rising Radio!