In 1993-94 the Hurricanes went winless in Big East play. Tonight the 2007-08 Hurricanes made their mark on futility by tying the 2000-01 and 2006-07 team for the worst starts in conference play since that time. But unlike those teams this squad was actually nationally ranked just ten days ago and once again tonight gave a game away late on the road. I know it sounds like hyperbole and tomorrow morning I will wake up to several comments saying I'm too negative and this teams (deceiving) overall record indicates they still have a shot at the NCAAs. I'm sorry if you lose to the two weakest teams arguably in your league due to late game breakdowns you either have to defeat a team like Duke on the road to offset it or you have to win the ACC Tournament to make the big dance. In other words, Miami's squad after tonights give away to a young but clearly out classed Wake Forest squad in the last minute means the Hurricanes are in all likelihood simply playing out the string this season, just like last season. At least unlike Frank Haith's first two seasons they won't have an NCAA bid to blow the last two weeks of the regular season.
So basically Miami MUST beat Duke Saturday in Durham on national TV (ABC, 3:30 PM ET). Otherwise the Hurricanes goose is cooked. No pressure for a team that has already proven they are inept in late game situations on the road, huh?
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Canes Equal Worst Conference Start of last Fifteen Seasons
Labels:
Miami Basketball
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I last week thought you were off your rocker and being a jack ass. But after last night, I 100% agree with you. Screw all the talk about Wake's home record. They are a young team that was terrible at home against better opposition the last two years. Miami had the ball TWICE under 1:30 with a chance to take the lead and the calls from the bench were perfect and guys just missed shots. So it's not Haith's fault that his guys are so mentally weak.
Our season I agree is over. And this year I will not even watch the NIT or give a damn.
Post a Comment