From a psychological standpoint no hurdle that Miami Basketball faces is bigger than the one the Hurricanes face tonight. Miami has accomplished more than expected by the pundits in its first few years of ACC play. Two near misses at the NCAA , some outstanding ACC Tournament performances and several big road wins have been a trademark of Frank Haith's Miami tenure. But Haith, like his disgraced predecessor Perry Clark has a huge monkey on his back. Neither coach ever beat Boston College while leading the Canes. Clark was 0-7 against BC, and Haith is to date 0-5. Clark's predecessor Leonard Hamilton won his last 8 meetings with BC, and between 1995 and 2000, was 10-1 overall against the Eagles.
No need for explanation or hyperbole. Miami has a mental block against Boston College. Even in games where the Hurricanes have seemingly controlled the game as happened several times under Clark and twice in the past seasons under Haith, the Hurricanes have fallen short. This curse is not physical or mysterious......it is psychological. The Hurricanes have virtually made the careers of many Boston College players. Remember Johnathan Bierbohm? Well neither do most people but his shining moment in an otherwise average college career was a game winning tip in versus Miami. Remember Troy Bell and Ryan Sidney? Of course you, they were stars but only stars because of Miami. I disliked Bell so much I actually considered sending him a graduation card! The list goes on and on. Craig Smith, Sean Marshall, Shamari Spears, John Oates (no, not THAT John Oates), Tyrese Rice, etc, etc.
The sad part is it is difficult to hate Boston College. They aren't Duke Basketball or Virginia Tech Football. The program generally recruits average players and the fine work of Coach Al Skinner turns these guys into winners and game changers. Quite frankly, I like BC. I know I shouldn't but I do. I just don't like them when they play the Canes but based on recent results the Canes like them also, even more than I do. Let's hope tonight that changes.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Boston College: The Program Perry Clark and Frank Haith have built (well sort of)
Labels:
Miami Basketball
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment