Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rumor: Shannon Dismisses Six From Team

I don't like to post rumors here but this one seems to have some steam so here goes: word out of Coral Gables tonight is that six players have been tossed from the Miami Football team. I am told the most prominent three are QB Kirby Freeman, K Darren Daly (who missed a FG in OT versus NC State and did not play again) and TE DajLeon Farr who caught two TD passes early this season, but was eventually supplanted by Dedrick Epps and Chris Zellner at TE. Farr is by far the biggest disappointment having been a highly touted Tight End. Daly was a wasted scholarship, and Freeman didn't fit Miami, although I always admired the kids heart and guts and feel Pat Nix didn't know they type of plays to call with an option oriented QB like Freeman in the game. I will have more information as it becomes available.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard the same- the number is seven and Dmitri Stewart is one of them also.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little surprised about Farr. He showed promise as a pass catcher.

Anonymous said...

Charlie Jones also has been asked to leave. He and Freeman have already graduated so it's not a big deal

Kartik said...

Guys, any other names you may know? Regarding Freeman I think he was terrible this year but last year showed promise and made some nice plays when the offense was tooled to his talents. We saw that vs BC and Maryland and then in the bowl game versus Nevada. He'll always be remembered for beating FSU. Miami is going to bad next year and with 4 freshman QBs fighting for the job 5-7 may be a miracle.

Anonymous said...

More to come also. These are just the first seven. Shields maybe gone also from what I have been reading.

Kartik said...

Shields? Yeah he and Shannon clearly never got on but if he's gone we'll be lucky to beat Duke!

Anonymous said...

Didn't Shannon say he wouldn't take a scholly away from a kid???!!!!

Anonymous said...

How about Kylan Robinson?

George Timmons?

Khalil Jones?

Freeman was a joke this season but I agree: last year he saved our season. If Kyle hadn't gotten hurt we likely finish 5-7 last year and miss a bowl just like this season.

Farr has been all hype and nothing substantial. I'm glad he's gone if true.

Daly, I feel for. He made a long FG versus FSU and had made three in a row vs NC State including a pressure game tying kick. But he's not worth wasting a scholly.

Anonymous said...

Doug Wiggins has been thrown off the team as well I hear.

Anonymous said...

I hope Farr stays, he's shown some flashes. The rest could leave for all I care. I do hope Kylan gets moved back to fullback though, I think he can be productive.

Anonymous said...

Farr did get left home for the BC game for something he did..

Anonymous said...

nkD. Farr has leaded the TE in reception yards and TDs after catches. If UM don’t want Farr, I can assure you that other top rank schools will gladly accept him. Nix needs fix the offense, like designing more plays for TEs. The offense line was horrible this year as well. Better yet, UM needs to fire Shannon and the other coordinators (Offense & Defense). With all that talent on UM, there is not any reasons for UM allow over 30 points in any game and unable to score at least 25 points per game.

Anonymous said...

Mabry and K. Jones also.

Anonymous said...

What scholarships did he pull????

Big difference between being kicked off the football team, and kicked out of the university with your scholarship taken away.

Anonymous said...

I understand the fears there, but as one of the very few who advocated plying Marve this year if he could go, this is the reason why. Randy has seen the abyss this year and would rather go with 4 green QBs next year and let them battle royal for top nod....why the hell not?? It cannot get any worse and I think anybody would be hard pressed to say that Kirby gives us a better chance to win ball games over Marve, Harris, Cook, or Smith.

Anonymous said...

The reason you don't post rumors, and now have egg on your phase that you violated your own policy:

There has been talk that some players with remaining eligibility would not be asked back, but Shannon said, "I won't take anybody's scholarship."

One definite change will be at quarterback, where senior starter Kyle Wright departs. Kirby Freeman, who started three games, returns for his senior season, but freshman Robert Marve may be the favorite going into spring practice.

Marve continues to recover from left wrist injuries suffered in a July car accident, but has said he'll be ready for spring practice. Jacory Harris, Miami-Northwestern's quarterback, has said he hopes to enroll at UM in January and participate in spring drills.

Anonymous said...

The reason Shannon said he was not going to pull a scholie was OBVIOUSLY so that the kid can finish his education.. that is always Shannon's first priority.. he never said he was still going to let every kid be on the team.

Also, if Shannon is helping the kid find another school that will give him a scholie, it goes right back to the same point that he's ensuring the kid can get a free ride the rest of the way.

Anonymous said...

I agree with booting the dead weight, Kirby included. I just wouldn't get rid of Kirby right now. I am not willing to put all of my eggs in the basket of 3 kids who no one actually knows will be here. When they have signed and are accepted into school then fine, get rid of Kirby. Miami's recent history of signing QB's should not be forgotten just because Shannon is the coach now. This move should not be made until you are assured of the new guys.

Listen to Canes Rising Radio!